It's my 2nd week in Berlin and I was determined to look for a church, hence, I did some survey beforehand. Woke up to a bright shinny Sunday, at last, good weather! Took the bus and started church hunting. I wanted to go Church A but I could not find it at all! I walked and walked from one street to another but I could not find it. =/ Alas, I gave up and went to a traditional looking church nearby which I did not intend to go. There were lots of police there and since he said the service just started, I could still go in and so I went. My adventure begins..
I was ushered NOT by smiling ushers but police for security check! I was all puzzled and asked, "Is this really a church service?" and yes, he said and signaled for my bag. I gave him and further questioned," Why do you need to check my bag if this is a service?". Not only he checked my bag but there were airport-like security doors and baton to check my body! "What is inside here? Open it up." I was soooo blur until he told me that today is 911 and we are having VVIP in the service in commemoration of the deceased, hence the check. OH! patutlah..
so i went in and sat at the last row cause I am not formally invited. All seats have names on it and obviously, mine wasn't. The service was interesting yet boring at the same time. Interesting because it was almost like I was in an orchestra! Soprano singers, beautiful choir, orgel (heavenly!!!!!) and more performances and speechs! Boring as in there were so many people speaking which does not feel like a church service and one even came up and spoke for 5 mins of things which I don't understand. It was like Alhamdulilah (I understand!) ......( 5 mins of arabic language which i dont understand)...... Wasalamualaikum. The whole service went by with lots of question in my mind. But I can tell they were really VIP cause there were polices, red cross ambulance, huge BMW limousines, demonstrators (!) and what not. Everyone dresses so smartly with coat, black dresses and all.
Until in the evening, I showed my host the photos I took and we heard the news from the radio, then only I realised how VVIP were the guests! The most important person in GERMANY was there! The Bundesminister! and a whole lists of other ministers etc. Everything makes sense now =). I feel so privileged to be there too! hahaha. Something that seems bad in the beginning (for not finding my intended church) turned out to be a blessing too! How rare can a person attend this service with VVIP and all. The church was American Church of Berlin, that explains a lot, huh?
Not 'satisfied' with my morning service, I went to an AOG church which I found from the internet. I took the train, then the bus, then the train, then a lot of walking, and then more walking and reached my 'church'. My church turned out to be a HOUSE! A girl answered the door as I rang the bell. -.-. Super za dao man! I asked some passerby and one of them were very sweet. She and her dog walked me to another church nearby but obviously the service is already over. It is another old church which she got married there with her husband and her husband's father got married there too! But now this church is pretty dead, a typical scenario in Germany or Europe. I don't know.
Well, my intended plan of church service with proper worship and message did not materialise. As I was walking (again!) back, I was just thinking, what is the lesson for the day, God? I so wanted to go to a church to 'find God' but oh well, it turned out 'interesting'. Like a friend who spoke perfectly, "It is your daily communion with God that is the most important thing." God is already knocking at the door of my heart to invite Him in and dine with me =). Lesson learnt, well.
Anyway, if you are interested in seeing the video news of the American church which I went today, you can find it here. Ignore the language but look at the church service! After reading this news, I can comprehend better with whatever that happened in the day. The purpose and reasoning behind it.
God bless America.
Comments